Login    Forum    Search    FAQ     VSS Home

Board index » Vegetarian Food Forums » Health and Nutrition

Post subject: Where can I get raw flaxseed oil?
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:03 pm 

I know I am not the first to post this question, but I really like to know ((fast)) where can I get raw flaxseed oil - the real oil type not the capsule one. I am currently taking the capsule one and it is finishing soon. Heard that the raw one will be better, so will like to switch to consume the raw oil.

Please let me know if you have any idea where to get it.

Thanks,
Northsg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:01 pm 
Posting Freak

Hmm! I was at Carrefour Suntec today and in the health section they had lots of different organic cold-pressed oils. Since I was only browsing I didn't notice any particular ones, but it's worth taking a look if you're in the area.

I recommend flaxseed chewing otherwise. Strangely addictive...

His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Eda, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Asia in General and Singapore in Particular.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:16 pm 

Why? Just grind flaxseed and put it in cereal. or soymilk. or soymilkshakes. So much cheaper.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:28 am 
Posting Freak

Yes, MelissaTsang is right - it's like liquid gold, and I heard Carrefour has a well-stocked health/organic section now. However, I'm no nutritionist and not sure how efficient we can absorb the goodness of flaxseed from chewing. I've heard the best way to eat seeds and nuts is to soak raw ones overnight before eating. It seems the soaking 'unlocks' or 'activates' the nutrients. I think Eda is more qualified to find the answer to this.

The last time I bought Flaxseed oil was from Brown Rice Paradise at Tanglin Mall (you might wanna check out http://www.organic-paradise.com.sg/ or http://www.natures-glory.com/contactus.asp or http://organicfood.sg/organic_food_suppliers_6.html ). It's expensive, can't cook with it, and doesn't store well for long. I can't imagine drinking a spoonful in the mornings - it's quite unpalatable! The benefits however seem enough for some health advocates to go through the trouble of downing oil.

I attended a vegan health food demo and gotten a simple but delicious recipe for a jiffy healthy carbo staple for busy/lazy people (bracketed = optional):-

Boil whole wheat (organic) (spiral) pasta, drain, drizzle flaxseed oil and Briggs aminos, sprinkle onion and garlic powder. Mix well and serve - Voila! Proportions are to your own taste and needs. I don't use measurements unless I'm baking - start with small portions to experiment.

It kept well all day as whole wheat is far less clumpy and starchy. Freeze any excess. I was surprised how something so simple could be so tasty and easy - Bon appetit, Northsg!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:00 pm 

Thanks for your reply, everyone.

I am no where near to Carrefour Suntec, so I think I will get the flaxseed from Unity pharmacy and chew, just like Eda suggested. Hope it's really addictive to me as well. Or I'll grind it and put in my oats and soymilk in the morning.

Didn't know flaxseed oil can be expensive.. :( Guess I have to skip it. What is the cheapest alternative? Is it really flaxsee itself?

As for preparing food for myself, I'm busy enough to prepare food for the others, so I usually grab whatever that is available and of course, for vegetarian.

Northsg

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:38 pm 
Posting Freak

i bought organic flaxseed from KL. A 250g pack cost about S$4. I guess i will pound it and cook porridge. But frankly, i dun really know what else to do with it and I bought half a kilo.:P:P:P:P

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:15 pm 
Posting Freak

u can just sprinkle some on ur rice after cooking. Or stir into yoghurt, sprinkle on some in between ur sandwich bread, sprinkle some into the pancake batter, or use it as an egg replacer... and many more...

Just try not to heat up flaxseed, the nutrients will be lost.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:32 pm 
Posting Freak

I chew my flax seeds in front of the computer. Since I spend so much time there, I consume a lot of flax seeds. :P

His Excellency President for Life, Field Marshal Eda, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Sea, and Conqueror of the British Empire in Asia in General and Singapore in Particular.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:39 pm 
Posting Freak

Flaxseed Oil is not often in stock at health or organic stores due to its short shelf life. I blend raw soaked flaxseeds with a veg pâté and use it as dip and spread, as I'm afraid too much chewing would wear my teeth out.

However, Organic Life brings in the brand Biogreen and they have flaxseed oil in stock. You can also order online and get free delivery for orders above $80.
http://organiclife.com.sg/index.php

My recent visit to Brown Rice Paradise was quite disappointing - their products were organic, but not often veg friendly. I doubt I'll return as there are other stores offering more veg variety.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:19 am 
Posting Freak

vegemight, brown rice paradise at tanglin mall?? I thought I saw the posters today when I brought my nephew down for his gym session..

Eda, how do you chew? I know use our teeth..but it's so tiny and what's the taste like? I thought flaxseeds supposed to be grounded so that we won't crap it out undigested?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:14 am 
Posting Freak

Chew?
1. Open mouth
2. Insert about 1/4 tsp flax seeds. Always less than < half a teaspoon each mouthful (guess why).
3. Close mouth, but keep jaws open.
4. Carefully manipulate seeds in mouth with tongue until some are located between your molars.
5. Bite down hard until you feel the seeds are crushing.
6. Open jaws (but keep lips closed)
7. Repeat steps 4-6 until most seeds are crushed.
8. Swallow.
9. Drink a glass of water.
10. Repeat steps 1-9 until all your daily flax seeds have been consumed.
11. Spend the next 15-20 minutes chasing remaining seeds that will be stuck just about everywhere in your mouth.

:P

Note, because of step 11, I suggest you only perform this activity in private. :D

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:09 pm 
Posting Freak

hahahahahaha, Eda, you are so funny.

I was more of thinking to buy a grinder to turn it into a powder and do those sprinkle thing that halimah suggest. :P

Use as dip is also okie for me.... :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:43 pm 
Posting Freak

yeah just sprinkle it into everything... i do it with rice... quite nice actually :)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:59 pm 
Posting Freak

ya Eda was so funny! With that step by step instructions. Hahas!

Well, I think I'll stick to pounding the seeds and sprinkle onto rice...

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:36 pm 
Posting Freak

Yeah, I wouldn't chew if I had a grinder. In Sweden I used a coffee grinder for the seeds. Once it was pulverized, I made a "milk" shake from oat milk, flax seed powder and a banana. Yummy! I'm sure you can do this as well with soy milk.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:49 pm 
Posting Freak

oh gosh! sounds so yum...

by the phoon huat also carries flax seeds.. they have the brown type and the golden flax seeds

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:11 pm 

Eda you're so funny!! :D

I guess I'll have to grind it oldschool with a mortar & pestle to make a "flaxoyan" shake. (flax+soy milk+banana)

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:08 pm 
Posting Freak

I am thinking of feeding flaxseed powder to my boy.

But found this in wiki -> Raw flax seed contains the chemical hydrogen cyanide (HCN) or cyanogenic glucosides which can be toxic if consumed in large quantities.

Seems like heat can remove most of the HCN but the omega thingy also like gone with the heat.:(

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:30 pm 
Posting Freak

i guess the key is large quantities.. if it is spaced out and eaten once a day should be okie rite?

Anyway there is so much chemical as it is in the air that we breathe and the water we drink!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:39 pm 

I remember seeing the oil in Unity sometime back. Don't know if they are still selling. But Nature farm carries. Only thing is it has to be stored in the fridge.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:57 pm 
Posting Freak

I think for young children, a small teaspoon a day is enough? Afterall, we don't need a lot of b12 to begin with.....

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:39 am 
Posting Freak

Flax seeds you eat for omega 3, not vitamin b12.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:04 am 
Posting Freak

But it contains b12 also right?????

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:18 pm 
Posting Freak

Nope, no b12 in flax seeds.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:25 pm 

How about pounding those B12 supplement tablets and mixing with the kid's food? Is that safe to do?

Board index » Vegetarian Food Forums » Health and Nutrition