There is vegetarian fresh spring rolls ($1 each), i just had it this morning at Bugis Village - hawker centre ( u can see OG from there), there is 2 vegetarian stalls side by side, don't know is it 01-107 or 01-108.
Most of the time, it is real nice, except one time (quite long ago), i think they forgotten to add salt to the yambean. ha.. ha..ha...
The tread on Popian : http://www.vegetarian-society.org/forum ... p?tid=3848
Popiah (Fresh Spring Rolls)
Ingredients (makes 10-12)
Ã¯â€šÂ° 20-24 pieces fresh popiah wrappers
Ã¯â€šÂ° 100g sweet sauce
Ã¯â€šÂ° 6 fresh red chilli,
Ã¯â€šÂ° salt and sugar, to taste
Yam bean Filling
Ã¯â€šÂ° 600g yambean, peeled, shredded and drained
Ã¯â€šÂ° 2 chinese dried mushrooms, soaked and shredded
Ã¯â€šÂ° 50g carrot, peeled and shredded
Ã¯â€šÂ° 2 tablespoons vegetables oil
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 thin slice ginger or 1 clove garlic or 1 shallot
Ã¯â€šÂ° Ã‚Â½ tablespoon salted soybean paste
Ã¯â€šÂ° 350ml water
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1Ã‚Â½ tablespoons sugar, or to taste
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 teaspoon vegetarian oyster sauce
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 teaspoon sesame oil
Ã¯â€šÂ° 1 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
Ã¯â€šÂ° 12 chinese lettuce leaves
Ã¯â€šÂ° 120g beansprouts, tailed and blanched
Ã¯â€šÂ° 120g grounded peanut
Ã¯â€šÂ° vegan Ã¢â‚¬ËœeggÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ (optional)
Ã¯â€šÂ° a small handful fresh coriander sprig
To prepare chilli sauce
1.Blend the chill in a blender or food processor until it is a smooth paste. Season to taste with salt and sugar.
To prepare yambean filling
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add the ginger or garlic or shallot and fry till golden brown.
2. Add the salted soy bean paste and stir-fry briskly until aromatic.
3. Add the yambean, mushrooms, carrot and stir-fry for 1 minute. Stir in water, sugar, salt, light soy sauce, vegetarian oyster. Stir occasionally and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender and sauce is slightly dry. Season with sesame oil and pepper. Set aside.
To wrap popiah
1. Place 2 fresh Popiah wrappers overlapping each other on chopping board. Spread sweet sauce and chilli sauce on it.
2. Place a small Chinese lettuce leaf in the centre and top with yambean filling, beansprouts, grounded peanut, vegan Ã¢â‚¬ËœeggÃ¢â‚¬â„¢ and coriander sprig.
3. Roll up and cut into 4 or 5 pieces and serve.
As for the vegan 'egg', the method to do it can be found http://crystalbyblog.blogspot.com/2007/ ... -rice.html
[Edited on 13-4-2007 by Crystalbymail]